How to Appeal
To appeal your assessment, follow the steps below:
- Online. You will need a valid credit card for the online option.
- By mail, using the form on the back of your assessment notice. You will need to include a cheque or money order, payable to Municipal Assessment Agency, for the appeal fee. The exact amount will be indicated on the back of your assessment notice. Mail the Notice of Appeal form to:
MUNICIPAL ASSESSMENT AGENCY
75 O’LEARY AVENUE
ST. JOHN’S, NL A1B 2C9
The appeal filing fee is fully refundable if your appeal is upheld by the Assessment Review Commission or if the appeal is withdrawn at least 10 days before the hearing.
- Please be as detailed as possible when stating the grounds for appeal.
- If you appoint an agent, please provide his/her name and contact information.
- Appeals must be received or postmarked within 60 days from the date of the notice of assessment. The exact date can be found in Box 3 on your assessment notice. The legislation does not permit the Agency to accept late appeals.
- After receipt of your appeal, an assessor for your area will review the property file and may contact you to discuss. A property inspection may be required.
- You will be advised in writing of the review results. At this point, you must notify the assessor of whether or not you wish to proceed with the appeal.
The deadline to file an appeal is within sixty (60) days from the date of the notice of assessment. The date can be found in Box 3 of your assessment notice.